Rena Togia was born in Corfu and lives in Athens with her husband and her two daughters. She started her first restaurant in Mykonos at Ftelia beach in 1979 and soon the restaurant became a must visit place for Greek and international celebrities and those appreciative of good quality food. Six years later, she opened a boutique restaurant in Athens. For several years both restaurants operated simultaneously.
Rena is a true representative of the Greek, Mediterranean cuisine for over 33 years now and is very well known for hospitality and her respect and love for pure, fresh ingredients (virgin olive oil, vegetables and herbs). Her recipes are simple and authentic and they reflect the Greek tradition and culture. For several consecutive years, Rena’s restaurant has been distinguished and shortlisted amongst the top restaurants in Athens with individual and corporate customers from Greece and abroad.
Rena has published several cookbooks in Greek and other languages that have received numerous European and international distinctions:
• Two of her books, namely the “Greek, Mediterranean Cuisine” and “Rena’s Desserts”, received a distinction in the International Gourmand Cookbook Contest that took place in 2004 in Barcelona. These two books and the book “Traditional Greek Recipes” were translated and published in English and in German. • During the same contest, “Rena’s Desserts” was distinguished as the “Best Cookbook in the World”. • In 2008, the Greek National Tourism Organization published with Rena the “Mediterranean Recipes from Greece” and the book was published in Greek and in Chinese.
• During the same contest, “Rena’s Desserts” was distinguished as the “Best Cookbook in the World”.
• In 2008, the Greek National Tourism Organization published with Rena the “Mediterranean Recipes from Greece” and the book was published in Greek and in Chinese. In addition to her cookbooks, Rena has received numerous distinctions in European and International contests.
• In 2004 Rena was awarded the “2nd Best Woman Chef in the World” in the International Gourmand Cookbook Contest that took place in Barcelona.
• In 2008, Rena represented Greece in the “Greek Gastronomy Week” held by the Greek National Tourism Organization in China. For the event, Rena transferred to China an entire refrigerator with fresh, Greek ingredients and herbs.
• In the same year, she also participated in the “International Tourism Exhibition” organized again by the Greek National Tourism Organization. Both events received raving comments.
• In 2015 and 2016, she gained new world awards for her English and French edition of her book "A Taste of Greece".