Me and My Death: The Right to Euthanasia
On whose authority do the powers that wish to set boundaries to our lives take away from us the freedom of choice to our death?
A renowned Greek journalist and his death, face-to-face…
A sincere life confession under the phantom of inexistence…
And at the same time, a genuine manifest that defends the fundamental right of man to his death, interpreting and refuting all taboos – religious, medical, social – that keep on blocking the subject of euthanasia…
Alexandros Velios’s personal unfair battle mobilizes hearts and consciences…
ePub ISBN: 978-1-910370-85-8
Narrated by: Eddie Leonard Jr.
Length: 45 mins
Audiobook is also available.
ROES has published the original Greek title.
Voluntary contributors (English Edition):
Translation: Catherine Pavlou
Editors: Ezra P. Kyrill, Leslie Mestrow
Photo editor: Orestis Savvopoulos
Publisher: Stergiou Limited
Publication date: September 3, 2016
Country of publication: United Kingdom
1. This title is intended for an adult readership.
2. This title only expresses the author’s views, thoughts, beliefs, and experiences with respect to freedom of speech and does not reflect the publisher’s view.
3. This title does not intend to infringe on any rights whatsoever of any individual.
4. This title does not intend to promote or advocate for any obscene, blasphemous or offensive religious views or ethics that might defame or discredit any individual or community.
5. No part of this title is intended to insinuate advice or recommendation, and the content should not be relied upon when making any decisions or taking any action of any kind.
Alexander Velios was a well-known journalist and political analyst. Born in Athens, Greece in 1953, studied Philosophy in Paris (PARIS IV).
During the 80’s he worked as a political and diplomatic editor in several influential journals and magazines. In the early 90’s he became interested in private television and radio, hosting political programs of wide appeal to the public.
Since 1995 he has also been running the series of essays MICROMEGA of the publishing house ΡΟΕΣ. He has published, among others, two volumes of political essays, a comparative study Thucydides-Machiavelli, a monograph on the bonapartism phenomenon, a comparative compilation Demosthenes-Isocrates as well as numerous translations including Montesquieu, Pascal, Zola, Lafargue, Valery, Michault, Herault de Sechelles, Mandeville.
His book “Me and My Death – The Right to Euthanasia” was published in early June 2016 (three months before his death) shocking the Hellenic society with a subject that still is a taboo. It made headlines, made the subject of various news programs and several ad hoc television shows, became viral on the social media, caused statements from political parties and politicians, but also an unexpected wave of support from civilians in favor of the right to euthanasia.
Out of three marriages, he has Nicholas, aged 20, and Emily, aged 7.